Now that you have installed the Collector, let's add a host metric source so we can ingest your host's metrics into the Training instance.
To add a new host metrics source to the collector, follow these steps:
- Find the collector by name on the Collection page
- Manage Data -> Collection -> and select Add > Add Source
- We'll add a host metrics source. Click Host Metric
- Assign these settings:
Name. Enter the name you'd like to display for the new Source. You’ll be able to search for the source name using _sourceName. We will be using Host_Metrics__<your_initials>als>
Source Host. You can enter the hostname of the machine from which the metrics will be collected. This is the machine where you installed the collector. We will leave this blank for now.
Source Category. Enter a string as the type of source. You’ll be able to search for the source category using _sourceCategory. For _sourceCategory, use hostmetrics/<your_initials>
Scan Interval. This setting determines how frequently the source scans for host metrics data. Selecting a short interval will increase the message volume and could cause your deployment to incur additional charges. The default is 1 minute.
Metrics. Select all the checkboxes for the metrics to collect. By default, all CPU and memory metrics are collected.
Select a top-level checkbox to select all metrics in a category. A blue checkmark icon indicates that the category is selected. To select individual metrics, click the right-facing arrow to expand the category and select the individual metrics.
- Once you have the settings similar to the ones below, click Save.
For your reference, here are descriptions of the host metrics you just collected.
- Click Collectors and Sources to return to the list on the Collection page. If necessary search for your initials to find your collector
The new source is now listed. The green checkmark indicates that its status is active and that Sumo Logic will start ingesting data from the source.
If you hover your cursor over the Source Category of the source, you will notice a blue icon
- Click on the blue icon
- You will notice that a metric query is displayed with your host's metrics
- We will discuss this metric query in future labs. Congratulations in this lab you have created a metric source to send your host's metric information into the Sumo Logic environment. You can start investigating your host metrics.