A great way to try out Sumo Logic for the first time is to upload a local static log file. To do this, click Upload Files. There is a limit of 20 files and 100MB total per upload.
Uploading a local static file allows you to try Sumo Logic without configuring a Collector to ingest live, streaming data. To continuously monitor a file in your environment, configure a Collector and Source within the Sumo Logic Web Application.
You'll want to upload a log file such as Apache, IIS, MySQL, or other common file type.
The following file types are not supported:
The Setup Wizard guides you through the following steps:
- Select the type of log files you will be uploading.
- A Source Category, which will help you search your logs later, is filled automatically. You can edit the name if you like.
- Drag and drop files to upload, or use the button to browse. Files cannot exceed 100MB or 20 files total.
- Select a time zone for your log file:
- Use time zone from log file. If none present use: Select the time zone you want to use.
- Ignore time zone from log file and instead use: Select the time zone you want to use.
- Click Continue.
While the files are uploading, the Setup Wizard provides a progress bar, and at this point, you can either add more data or go to the Sumo Logic Web Application. If you leave the wizard and go to the Sumo Logic Web Application, a progress bar is displayed in the main navigation bar to let you know when the configuration is finished.
When the Finish page displays, you can:
- Add More Data. Click to return to the Setup Wizard to configure more sources.
- Start Searching My Logs. When your data is ready, to go to the Search page and view the results of the search configured for your file. In a separate search tab, you can view the High Priority Keyword search, which displays results if your data contains "error", "fail", or "exception" keywords.
- Dashboards. After your search is launched, you will be notified when your Sumo Logic App Dashboards are ready to use. All Dashboards are launched in Live Mode for Setup Wizard users.
- You can also watch videos and tutorials to learn how to use Sumo Logic.
Click Go Back to return to the main Setup Wizard screen.
Click Exit Setup Wizard to exit.