The Live Tail Command Line Interface (CLI) is a standalone application that allows you to start and use a Live Tail session from the command line.
The Live Tail CLI supports the following operating systems:
- Mac OS 10.6, Snow Leopard or later, 64-bit
- Windows XP or later, 64-bit
- Linux, major distributions, 64-bit
The limitations for the Live Tail CLI are the same as the Live Tail feature in the Sumo Logic Web Application, but for these exceptions:
You can tail logs ingested from Sources configured on Installed Collectors and from HTTP and Cloud Syslog Sources on Hosted Collectors.
The Live Tail CLI session will expire after 30 minutes of inactivity. This is to provide the best performance possible. If a Live Tail session has expired, you can restart it at any time.
_view and _index are not supported in Live Tail queries.
For complete details, see Live Tail.
Install and use the Live Tail CLI
To download the Live Tail CLI:
- First, go to https://github.com/sumologic/livetail-cli to view the README file.
- Then download your platform-specific binaries at https://github.com/SumoLogic/livetail-cli/releases.
When you run it the first time, the livetail-cli file creates a config.json file that stores the user’s deployment, access ID, and access key, when prompted. You only need to enter your deployment, access ID, and access key once. But if you prefer to clear your access ID and access key and log in again each time, you can use the -c argument to clear them.
To install the Live Tail CLI:
- Go to https://github.com/SumoLogic/livetail-cli/releases.
- Download the livetail-cli file and save it to a location where you have read, write, and execute permissions.
- To begin, in the command prompt, CD to the directory where the files are saved.
- Enter ./livetail -h.
- To start a Live Tail session and filter, enter for example:
./livetail "_sourceCategory=Apache/Access error"
- When prompted, enter your deployment, access ID and access key. (You only need to do this once.)
- The Live Tail CLI will first check the version of the Live Tail software, then it will create and start the session.
- To stop the Live Tail session, enter Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D.
With the Live Tail CLI, just as with Live Tail in the Sumo Logic Web Application, you can search with the following metadata fields:
You may search with keywords after providing at least one metadata field.
./livetail [<argument>] "<metadataField>=<metadataValue> [<filter>]"
The Live Tail CLI supports the following optional arguments:
- -h to view Help.
- -i to enter your Access ID.
- -k to enter your Access Key.
- -v to display the Live Tail CLI version number and exit.
- -c to clear your Access ID and Access Key.
- Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D to stop your Live Tail session.
Tail all logs from a given Source Host:
Look for errors in a particular application’s logs:
./livetail "_sourceCategory=db/mysql error"
Look for patterns:
./livetail "_sourceCategory=prod/my_app (publish* or delete*)"
Pipe the output into commands such as grep, awk, sed, etc.
./livetail "_sourceCategory=Apache/Access" | grep -i "rate limit exceeded" > out.txt
Update Live Tail CLI
When you start a Live Tail CLI session, it first checks the version of the Live Tail software.
If a major version update exists, you will see the error:
Incompatible version of Live Tail CLI. Please download the latest version from <link>.
You must download the latest version before you can start a new Live Tail CLI session.
If a minor version update exists, you will see the error:
A newer version of Live Tail CLI is available, but your current version will still function. If you would like to download the latest version, go to <link>
You are not required to download the latest version to start a new Live Tail, but if you’d like to take advantage of the latest bug fixes and features, you could.