This page provides instructions for installing the Sumo App for PostgreSQL, as well as the descriptions of each of the app dashboards. Click a link to jump to a section:
- Install the app
- PostgreSQL - Overview Dashboard
- PostgreSQL - Query Execution Dashboard
- PostgreSQL - Throughput Dashboard
- PostgreSQL - Resource Utilization Dashboard
- PostgreSQL - Security Dashboard
Install the app
Now that you have set up log and metric collection for PostgreSQL, you can install the Sumo Logic App for PostgreSQL to use the pre-configured Searches and Dashboards.
To install the app, do the following:
Locate and install the app you need from the App Catalog. If you want to see a preview of the dashboards included with the app before installing, click Preview Dashboards.
- From the App Catalog, search for and select the app.
- To install the app, click Add to Library and complete the following fields.
- App Name. You can retain the existing name, or enter a name of your choice for the app.
- Data Source. Select either of these options for the data source.
- Choose Source Category, and select a source category from the list.
- Choose Enter a Custom Data Filter, and enter a custom source category beginning with an underscore. Example: (_sourceCategory=MyCategory).
- Advanced. Select the Location in Library (the default is the Personal folder in the library), or click New Folder to add a new folder.
- Click Add to Library.
Once an app is installed, it will appear in your Personal folder, or other folder that you specified. From here, you can share it with your organization.
Panels will start to fill automatically. It's important to note that each panel slowly fills with data matching the time range query and received since the panel was created. Results won't immediately be available, but with a bit of time, you'll see full graphs and maps.
PostgreSQL - Overview Dashboard
PostgreSQL Overview Dashboard allows you to view and analyze logs to monitor user activity, errors, database usage and uptime. Use this dashboard to:
- Compare activities within a specified time range to monitor for unusual activity.
- Find errors with in your database with more detailed information.
Dashboard filters allow you to to narrow a search for database, severity, timeslice bucket, and user.
PostgreSQL - Query Execution Dashboard
PostgreSQL Query Execution Dashboard allows you to view and analyze logs to monitor load, latency, and overall query execution. Use this dashboard to:
- Monitor query performance.
- Analyze trends for queries executed in your database.
Dashboard filters allow you to narrow a search for data, database, execution time range, and user.
PostgreSQL - Throughput Dashboard
PostgreSQL Throughput Dashboard allows you to view and analyze the metrics for database performance, including commits, rollbacks, and scans. Use this dashboard to:
- Understand how effectively the database is performing.
- Monitor and compare sequential scans and index scans across your databases.
- Understand if executed queries are hitting index scan or sequential scan.
Dashboard filters allow you to narrow a search for database (plugin_instance), metrics (type) and/or metrics instance (type_instance).
PostgreSQL - Resource Utilization Dashboard
PostgreSQL Resource Utilization Dashboard allows you to view and analyze the metrics for monitoring the utilization of database resources. Use this dashboard to:
- Monitor PostgreSQL resources, including disk space by table, dead rows and frequency of scanned indexes.
- Monitor the size of database, tables and indexes over time, which are critical KPIs for monitoring query performance.
Dashboard filters allow you to narrow a search for database (plugin_instance), metrics (type), host, or metrics instance (type_instance).
PostgreSQL - Security Dashboard
PostgreSQL Security Dashboard allows you to view and analyze logs for monitoring posture, outlier activity, threats, and the geographical locations of connections. Use this dashboard to:
- Monitor incoming connections, authorization requests, and outliers.
- Analyze incoming requests with CrowdStrike threat feed to detect malicious IPs.
Dashboard filters allow you to narrow a search for consecutive events, threshold, timeslice, and window.