Istio reduces the complexity of managing Kubernetes deployments by providing a uniform platform for securing, connecting, and monitoring microservices.
The Sumo Logic App for Istio provides visibility into the health and performance of Istio and its control plane components, including Mixer, Galley, Citadel, Pilot and Envoy. App dashboards also allow you to monitor how services and applications are performing in Istio Mesh, providing insights into service latency, errors, network traffic, and request workloads.
The Sumo Logic App for Istio has been developed for Istio version 1.2x.
- Envoy - Envoy is a high-performance proxy to mediate all inbound and outbound traffic for all services in the service mesh.
- Mixer - Mixer enforces access control and usage policies across the service mesh, and collects telemetry data from the Envoy proxy and other services.
- Pilot - Pilot provides service discovery for the Envoy sidecars, traffic management capabilities for intelligent routing (A/B tests, canary rollouts) and resiliency (timeouts, retries, circuit breakers).
- Citadel - Citadel enables strong service-to-service and end-user authentication with built-in identity and credential management.
- Galley - Galley is Istio’s configuration validation, ingestion, processing and distribution component.