The Sumo Logic App for Apache Tomcat monitors server operations, assists in troubleshooting issues, and provides insight into website visitor behavior patterns across entire web server farms. It also provides a high level overview of the Tomcat servlet container, Catalina, and garbage collection. The app consists of predefined Dashboards and searches, which provide visibility into your environment for real time or historical analysis.
The Sumo Logic App for Apache Tomcat uses three types of logs:
- Tomcat Access logs
- Log format description: https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve/Attributes
- Recommended Source Category naming convention: Tomcat/Access
- Tomcat Catalina.out logs
- Log format description: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/logging/SimpleFormatter.html
- Recommended Source Category naming convention: Tomcat/Catalina
- Tomcat Garbage Collection (GC) logs
- Log format description: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4468546/explanation-of-tomcat-gc-log-statements
- Recommended Source Category naming convention: Tomcat/GC
Dashboards and Source Categories
Data used in Dashboards for Access, Catalina, and Garbage Collection are collected from the associate logs.
- Dashboards in the Access folder depend on Tomcat Access logs, which use _sourceCategory=Tomcat/Access.
- Dashboards in the Catalina.out folder depend on Tomcat Catalina logs, which use _sourceCategory=Tomcat/Catalina.
- Dashboards in the Garbage Collection folder depend on Tomcat GC logs, which use _sourceCategory=Tomcat/GC.