Open the Roles page of the Sumo Logic Web Application to create custom roles.
To create a new custom role
- Go to Administration > Users and Roles > Roles (Manage > Roles in the classic UI).
- Click the + icon on the upper right side of the page.
- Enter the following:
- Name. Choose a name to describe the role.
- Description. Enter a description of the role to help other Administrators understand the purpose or limitations of the role.
- Click Add New Role.
The Edit page opens to display the Details tab.
- On the Details tab, use the Search Filter field to restrict log access for users with this role. The string you enter or select here isn't visible to the user, but is added to the beginning of each query that the user runs.
For example, the string
will prevent the user from viewing logs from Sources that include "billing" in their name.
As you type in the field, a list of matching strings is presented. See Construct a Search Filter for a Role for details and examples on constructing search filters for roles.
- Go to Administration > Users and Roles > Users (click the Users tab in the classic UI) to assign users to the role.
- Select the check box to the left of the name of each user you'd like to assign to the role.
- You can click the check box to the left of NAME to add all users, and click again to clear all of the selections.
- To filter the list of users, enter a string in the search area, and press Enter.
- Click the VIEW SELECTED ONLY toggle to view only the users who are selected.
- Click the Capabilities tab and select check boxes for the functions the role is able to perform. For details see, Role Capabilities.
- Click Save.