You can use Sumo’s streaming metrics source with an installed collector to collect metrics from any application that emits metrics over TCP or UDP in the Graphite or Carbon 2.0 plaintext protocol. The streaming metrics source is analogous to a Syslog server, but for receiving metrics rather than logs.
In the procedure below, you configure a streaming metrics source on an installed collector. You can deploy an installed collector with the streaming metrics source on each host from which you want to collect metrics. If you prefer, you can use a single centralized installed collector and source and point the remote hosts to the centralized installed collector, rather than localhost.
The procedure below assumes you will use an installed collector on each host from which you want to collect metrics.
Configure a streaming metrics source
Perform these steps on each host from which you want to collect metrics:
- Set up an installed collector. (Skip this step if you have already set up the collector.)
- In Sumo select Manage Data > Collection > Collection.
- Click Add, and then Add Source.
- On the Select Source for Collector page, select Streaming Metrics.
- On the source configuration page, supply the following fields:
- Name. Enter a name for the source.
- Description. (Optional) Enter a description for the source.
- Protocol. By default, TCP is selected. If your apps or infrastructure use UDP, use the pull-down to select UDP.
- ContentType. By default, Graphite is selected. If your apps or infrastructure emit metrics using the Carbon 2.0 format, use the pull-down to select Carbon2.
- Source Category. Enter a source category. Once you start ingesting metrics, you can use the _sourceCategory metadata field with this value to search for metrics. Example source categories:
- prod/web/metrics or
- Click Save.
Specify the network interface for a streaming metrics source
When configuring a streaming metrics source on a computer that has more than one network interface you can specify which network interface the collector should bind to. This option is set in the collector.properties file in the collector’s config folder.
To specify the network interface
- Navigate to collector/config/collector.properties. Open the file in a text editor.
- Add the following line to the collector.properties file, where your_host_name identifies the network interface you'd like to use.
- Save and close the file.
The sections below describe the Graphite and Carbon 2.0 formats.
Graphite metric format
The Graphite plaintext protocol follows this format:
metric_path metric_value metric_timestamp
- metric_path is a dot-separated string.
- metric_value is any numeric value.
- metric_timestamp is a UNIX timestamp.
cluster-1.node-1.cpu-1.cpu-idle 97.29 1460061337
Carbon 2.0 metric format
The Carbon 2.0 plaintext protocol follows this format:
intrinsic_tags meta_tags value timestamp
- intrinsic_tags is one or more space-separated intrinsic tags
- meta_tags is one or more space-separated meta tags
- value is any numeric value.
- timestamp is a UNIX timestamp.
site=mydomain mtype=rate unit=Req/s host=web12 agent=statsdaemon1 234 1234567890