The easiest way get started with metrics is to add a Host Metrics Source, which allows you to collect data pertaining to the local Installed Collector host. Check out this webinar for an overview of what you can do with host metrics. For reference, the slides are available here.
Then follow these steps to get started.
1. Add a Source to collect your data
The easiest way get started with metrics is to add a Host Metrics Source, which allows you to collect data pertaining to the local Installed Collector host.
Watch these videos to see how to ingest Host Metrics from an Installed Collector, and see Collecting Host Metrics for Installed Collectors for full instructions.
Ingest Host Metrics by Upgrading an Existing Collector
If you already have an Installed Collector, upgrade the Collector to start ingesting Host Metrics.
Ingest Host Metrics by Installing a Collector through the Setup Wizard
If you don't have any installed metrics Sources, you can install one easily by using the Setup Wizard.
Other metrics Source options are also available:
- An Amazon CloudWatch Source allows you to gather metrics data from an Amazon resource. First grant access to read the CloudWatch metrics, and then set up the Amazon CloudWatch Source.
- A Graphite Source receives data in the Graphite format sent over a TCP or UDP socket. See Graphite Source for Metrics for instructions.
2. Query and visualize your data
After you set up a Source, metrics data is ingested automatically and available for query and visualization.
Watch this video to see how to set up a Host Metrics query and visualization, and see Create a Metrics Query and Visualization for full instructions.
Querying Your Host Metrics
3. Add your data to a Dashboard
You can add a metrics visualization as a Panel in an existing Dashboard, or create a new Dashboard containing a metrics Panel. Watch this video to see how easy it is to add a metrics Panel to a Dashboard, and see Add a Metrics Visualization to a Dashboard for full instructions.
Creating Metrics Dashboards