This page shows you how to quickly access Explore and then navigate through your Kubernetes environment. As you navigate, data is automatically shown in the dashboard on the right. Metric and log data are viewable on the same dashboard in one seamless view.
Explore is an out-of-the-box Sumo Logic navigation tool you can use for a visual representation of your Kubernetes stack.
To open Explore, do the following:
- Log in to Sumo Logic and click + New on the top menu bar.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Explore.
The Explore navigation panel appears on the left with a collapsed view of your Kubernetes stack.
- If this is your first time using Explore, the window at the right will be empty.
- If you have already installed a Sumo Logic App for Kubernetes, a dashboard displaying data for the selected deployment appears on the right.
- Now you can explore your Kubernetes environment.
Exploring Kubernetes views
Explore allows you to filter what you see in your environment by node, deployment, service, or namespace. The ability to focus on real-time hierarchical views makes it easier to find a problem and navigate to its root cause.
- Kubernetes Node view—Analyze the infrastructure topology of private, public cloud, or bare metal resources.
- Kubernetes Deployment view—Monitor deployment performance and manage necessary changes.
- Kubernetes Service view—Monitor and improve the user experience.
- Kubernetes Namespace view—Track environments with a lot of users that are spread across multiple teams or projects.
To explore a realtime view of your Kubernetes environment, do the following:
- Click + New on the top menu bar, then from the drop-down menu choose Explore.
- Click the arrow in the Explore By field and select a view option.
- Click the expand arrows in the list to navigate the contents of the view, as shown in the following examples.
Kubernetets Node View
Kubernetes Deployment View
Kubernetes Service View
Kubernetes Namespace View
- If you have a Kubernetes app installed, in the window on the right select a dashboard from the drop-down menu. Data for your selected component is displayed in the dashboard.
Analyzing your Kubernetes environment
Explore provides a framework in which you can view the contents of your Kubernetes clusters and easily navigate your system hierarchy. The navigation panel on the left shows a list of all your clusters with the namespaces, containers, and pods nested underneath each cluster.
To navigate your Kubernetes environment, do the following:
- At the top of the navigation panel, click Explore By and select a Kubernetes View. The view acts as a filter to allow you to focus your view of the Kubernetes environment.
- Click an arrow to the left of a content name to view its contents.
- In the window on the right, select a Dashboard from the drop-down menu.
- Drill-down into the clusters to view the pods and containers. The data for your selection is displayed in the panels of the dashboard on the right.
- Optional: Select another type of dashboard display from the drop-down menu at the top of the dashboard, and select another time interval.