Create and share a dashboard
Dashboards are a powerful forensic tool that allow you to visualize key search results at a glance and view related results in a single graphical display. You can step back in time to examine historical data or see real-time streaming results in Live mode. For more information see About Dashboards.
Create a panel and add it to a dashboard
- On the upper right of the Aggregates tab, click Add to Dashboard.
By default, the name of your saved search is added as the title, but you can change the name if you like. To add your panel to an existing dashboard, select it from the Dashboard menu. To create a new dashboard and add the panel to it, enter a name in the Dashboard field. Any path you include corresponds to a path in the library.
- Let’s create a new dashboard and name it ‘Apache Status Codes’. Click Apache under Personal, so the dashboard will be added to your Apache folder in the library.
- Click Add to create the panel and add it to the dashboard, which opens in a new browser tab.
Here on the Dashboards page, there are some buttons in the top right, where you can edit the Dashboard, add panels, change settings, share, refresh, and more.
- Click Done Editing.
Add a text panel
Let’s add a Text Panel, which lets you include information about a dashboard before you share it.
- Click the Edit icon.
- Select Add Panel from the Details icon.
The Create Panel dialog displays.
- For Title, let's enter a task-driven title that's easy to remember, ‘Understanding the Data’.
- Select Text, and enter your description. Some markdown syntax options are available for formatting text. See Markdown Syntax for details.
- Click Submit. The text panel is added to the dashboard to the right of your column chart panel.
Change the look and feel of the dashboard
If you want to change the size, shape, or location of a panel, you can do it when the Edit toggle is on. If it's on, you can see the Done Editing button at the top of the dashboard.
- Try moving the text panel to the left of the Apache Status Code panel. Click and hold your cursor in the panel until you see the cross icon. That’s your signal that you can drag the panel to reposition it.
- Move the panel to the left of the data panel. It might be necessary to move both panels to get them to look like this.
- Let’s resize the text panel so it’s easier to see. Drag the lower right corner of the panel to resize it. As before, you might have to reposition both panels to get them to look like this.
There’s much more you can do to arrange the panels in your dashboard so you can see the most valuable information at a glance.
- Click the More Actions (three dots) icon and select Toggle Theme to change the dashboard to the dark theme.
- Now that you have created your dashboard, you can share it with anyone in your organization. Click the Sharing icon.
You can share the dashboard with the rest of your organization, make it public to everyone (the world), or make it available to people on a whitelist. For now, we’ll make it available to everyone in your organization. To learn more about the other options, see Share Dashboards.
- Select Your organization.
A shareable link is displayed, which you can send to people in your organization.
- Click Done.
The Sharing icon is now blue, to show that this Dashboard is shared.
Good job! You’ve completed these tasks in Part 4 of the user tutorial:
Created a panel from your search results and added it to a new dashboard.
Added a text panel.
Changed the look and feel of the dashboard.
Shared the dashboard with others in your organization.
Now on to Part 5, where you’ll learn how to tune the contents of the data panels in your dashboard.