Bar charts are useful for visually comparing the number of events that have occurred, such as the type of error that occurs the most in your system. To create a Bar chart, use a search query that provides at least a few data points in the Aggregates tab.
For example, you could use the following query to create a simple Bar chart:
(error OR fail*) AND exception | count by _sourceCategory | sort by _count
which would produce results such as:
Create a bar chart
To add a panel with a bar chart:
- Create or open a Dashboard (New) and click on Add Panel > Time Series or Add Panel > Categorical.
- Provide a Metric or Log query and press Enter for it to run.
You can create Log and Metric queries on the same panel.
Enter your aggregate search query in the input field and press enter. Only search results that have been aggregated using a group or aggregate operator can be charted. See Group or Aggregate Operators for a list. By default, the query builder is set to Logs.
Click the left-most dropdown option and select Metrics. You should be familiar with the basics of creating metrics queries and alerts to ensure successful results. By default, the query builder is set to Logs.
To create a metrics query utilize the Metrics Explorer.
To add another query to a panel click the plus + icon on the last query row. Each query is assigned a letter for reference.
- Once the query runs you’ll need to flip the chart type to Bar.
- Modify the chart as desired.
- Click the Add to Dashboard button on the top right of the window to add the panel to your dashboard.